Sunday, June 17, 2012

Interview with a Shoe-Lover


Jessica

Happy Father's Day! This blog makes me think about my Dad because he makes time to go shoe shopping with me every once in a while, isn't that sweet? It takes a real man to go shopping with his daughter, especially if it happens to be an indecisive, thoughtful shopper like me. ( "Dad, do you like the green shoes or the brown ones better? The brown would be more practical, but the green ones are just so cute!")

I sometimes have strong opinions when it comes to shoes, but I have only just started to appreciate what they can do for a woman's wardrobe. Since I cannot claim to be the "shoe-master," I decided to pull in an expert. I asked my lovely friend, Jessica, if we could go out to Starbucks and have a fun shoe interview because she is passionate about high-heels and owns a very large collection of beautiful shoes. We had a fabulous time together, and after our Starbucks date I took a couple pictures of her two favorite pairs of shoes. I learned a lot from her answers, and I hope you enjoy~



When shopping for shoes, what is the best advice you can give?


Rule #1: Don't skimp on quality! 
Everyone says beauty is pain, but when it comes to shoes the pain does not outweigh the gain. For special occasions I understand we all can't afford $100+ shoes every time, but buying heels that you could wear more than 5 times is worth a little investment. Bad shoes can cause major feet issues when you are older. 
I have found many of my shoes on sale at Macy's or at Marshalls that are nice brands like BCBG and Steve Madden, and I didn't have to pay full price. 


Are there certain styles of shoes that every woman should have in her wardrobe?     

Rule #2: Own the 3 essentials
We are all told to have the perfect pair of jeans, the little black dress, and a blouse that can take us from the office to a lunch date to a night on the town, but what about the shoes, ladies?! There are 3 shoes every woman should have (the nicer the quality the better). First is the perfect pair of wedges. Wedges are like jeans: you can wear them to too many occasions to list. But since this is the shoe you would wear for hours you should invest in comfort! My second essential pair is what I call my "sexy" shoes. Every woman needs a pair of crazy high heels (mine are typically 4-5 inches with a fun print) for a fun night out. This kind of shoe with the little black dress gives a powerful statement to a simple outfit. Now for number three: a classy strappy black heel (no more than 3 inches); the go-to shoe for any outfit in need of class. 

Of all the shoes you own, which is your most treasured pair?                              

My most treasured pair is a multicolored beaded pair from BCBG. I have worn them with so many outfits for over 3 years now and I still get compliments! They have wooden heels so they are perfect for a fun daytime outfit, or can even be worn for a casual night out. [I have a picture of this pair at the bottom]


Why are shoes your favorite accessory?

Hmm how to explain my addiction... 
When those perfect jeans don't fit, my shoes always do! Plus what other accessory can lengthen my legs and give me a cuter butt instantly?! 


I'm interested in wearing "crazy" high-heeled shoes, how can I tone down my outfit to look appropriate?

As I mentioned earlier, an essential shoe for every girl's closest is the sexy pair of pumps that gives the wow statement to an outfit. Now with that said, I give you my rule #4: 1 part sexy, 3 parts conservative. I never wear my crazy shoes with a sexy outfit. To stay classy, only pick one area to highlight, ladies. Even with a fabulous pair of sexy shoes, an outfit can go quickly from classy to trashy if you show off too much to the world. In the picture of me at the top you can see I wore a black sequin top under a conservative black blazer, paired with a pair of skinny red slacks. This color-blocking technique helps to balance out the very high, brightly patterned heels so I don't look desperate. 


Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Rule #5: have fun and wear shoes that are you! 
Wear what makes you comfortable, but don't be too afraid to have fun with them.



Thank you, Jessica!
Happy Father's Day everyone,

~Rachel




















No comments:

Post a Comment